Chandigarh War Memorial perhaps the largest War Memorial of the country, with nearly 8459 names of the Deceased Soldiers since 1947 from Army Air Force and Navy stands located in the serene and beautiful Bougainvillea garden of Chandigarh and was inaugurated by H’ble President of India Dr. A. P. J. Abdul Kalam on 17th August, 2006.
The ground breaking ceremony was performed by Gen. S.F. Rodrigues (Retd.) Governor of Punjab & Administrator of UT Chandigarh on June 11, 2005.
LT. Gen. J.F.R. Jacob (Retd.), a 1971 War Hero, who was Governor of Punjab & Administrator of the Union Territory of Chandigarh, conceived the plan for this Memorial. He called it ‘SHANDAR YADGAR’ (Magnificent Memorial) while laying its foundation stone on April 28th, 2004.
Thus, Chandigarh War Memorial is a remarkable milestone in the history of Chandigarh, dedicated to those who laid their lives defending the country since independence.